The founder of Ganim Law has been providing legal expertise and dedicated service to clients for over a quarter century. We are a multi-purpose law firm that offers a comprehensive range of services in civil law, and all areas of civil practice, including probate, divorce, personal injury, liquor liability, medical malpractice, business litigation & worker’s compensation.

Raymond Ganim is the founder of Ganim Law. Having been inspired from a young age at the example of his father and older brothers, Ray aspired to become an attorney. After attending Sacred Heart University, Ray began his formal studies in law at the Quinnipiac University School of Law, then know as the University of Bridgeport School of Law. After graduating from law school and passing the Connecticut State Bar Exam in 1988, Ray began his career working for his father’s law firm. Once he began the practice of law, Ray began to focus a few key areas of Civil Litigation. These areas included Personal Injury, DivorceLiquor Liability,  and Probate.

After 23 years working with the family law firm, Attorney Ganim was able to take advantage of a unique opportunity that presented itself to him. A building became available that was located conveniently in the geographic center of his current client base. This location would provide Attorney Ganim with the opportunity to service his clients from a suburban office setting perched on the borders of Bridgeport, Trumbull and Stratford & adjacent to Route 8 for his clients from Shelton. This opportunity, along with the ability to continue to focus on his areas of experience in civil litigation were the deciding factors in the founding of Ganim Law.

Founded in 2011, Ganim Law is committed to providing the highest level of legal representation. Since its inception, they have continued to assemble and mentor the very best. Ganim Law carries a passion for being at the top of their fields. They also continuously strive to provide exemplary service to our clients. From responsive communications to meeting deadlines, service is a firm-wide commitment.

I was in a car accident and had never been involved in a law suit. I didn’t know if I had a case or where to begin. I contacted Ray Ganim. First we spoke on the phone. Ray and his secretary Barbara took care of everything from start to finish. Though I was nervous they reassured me every step of the way. They both answered all my questions, returned my calls and explained the terms I did not understand. Ray wouldn’t settle until he was sure I was happy with the amount. With Ray on my side I won my case. Ray will walk you though everything and get you the settlement you deserve. After all was said and done, I will still keep in touch with Ray and Barbara. During the course of my lawsuit they’re not just my lawyer and his secretary. Their friends and I would highly recommend calling Ray At Ganim to anyone.
Ray was a great lawyer. This was the first time I have ever needed a lawyer and I’m glad I choose him. I was in a car accident and he was very patient with me. I had no clue what to do or what the processes was involving a lawsuit. He made a difficult time much more bearable and explained everything and answered all my questions. I received a nice settlement thanks to Ray. If I should ever need a lawyer again, I will go right to Mr Ganim and I would highly recommended him to everyone. Especially if you’ve never dealt with a lawyer before. The whole situation can be over whelming. Ray will help you through it, and you won’t have too worry about a thing. You picked the right lawyer. I know I did. If you are in need of a lawyer I recommend calling Ray Ganim, you will be happy you made the call.
Attorney Ray Ganim Jr is a dependable, and professional attorney who exhibits great skill and knowledge of the law. I was impressed with the manner in which he handled my personal injury case recently. He is responsive, thorough and results-driven. I highly recommend Attorney Ray Ganim, Jr.
Joanna L.


Getting a divorce is not an easy decision to come to. Whether you are ready to serve papers or you have recently been blindsided by your spouse’s request for a divorce, now is the time to be proactive and prepare for the divorce. As you begin the divorce process, you undoubtedly have questions. We have designed this area of our website to answer these questions. Here, you can find information on different types of divorce, how to divide your debt and assets, how child custody will be determined, and the child and spousal support options in the state of Connecticut. We know that this is a difficult process, but we often find that for our clients, once they find the courage to take the first step, everything else begins to fall into place. Take that first step by contacting a divorce lawyer today. A divorce lawyer can protect your interests, answer your questions, and provide a shoulder to lean on from the beginning until the end of this process. Let Ganim Law provide that lawyer for you. Contact us today for more information.


In the state of Connecticut, there are two types of divorce available to those who are interested in filing for divorce – at-fault divorce and no-fault divorce. If you decide to file an at-fault divorce, you are claiming that your spouse did something that broke your marital vows or violated your trust in the relationship, and as a result, you want a divorce. If you file an at-fault divorce, you have to give a specific reason as to why you are filing the at fault divorce. Factors in an at-fault divorce include:

  • Adultery.
  • Fraudulent Contract.
  • Habitual Intemperance.
  • Intolerable Cruelty.
  • Willful desertion for one year.
  • Seven years’ absence.
  • Sentence to imprisonment for life.
  • Legal confinement from of Mental Illness.
Please keep in mind that if you file an at-fault divorce, the burden is on you to prove that the factor you list leading to the divorce in fact took place. You will have to provide significant evidence in court to prove that your spouse is at-fault for the divorce.

Today, at-fault divorces are generally not filed in the state of Connecticut. This is because you no longer need a reason to file for a divorce. If no one caused the breakdown of your marriage, you may file a no-fault divorce. The no-fault divorce simply states that your marriage has broken down irretrievably, and you wish to get a divorce as a result. You will have to show that nothing can be done to fix your marriage, but you don’t have to blame your spouse for the divorce. In Connecticut, many people choose to file no-fault divorces.



As soon as you realize that divorce is eminent, you should begin taking stock of your assets and debt. Some couples find that dividing assets and debt is the hardest part of the divorce, so you should be proactive about doing this. If you and your spouse can maintain a line of open communication, this process can be relatively painless. Understanding the division of your assets and debt is the first step in sorting this step of the divorce process out.

There are two types of property and debt that you and your spouse have– marital property and separate property.

Marital property is any asset or property that you acquired with your spouse over the course of your marriage. For example, a house purchased at the beginning of your marriage would be considered marital property. Similarly, joint bank accounts and debt acquired over the course of your marriage is marital property. You and your spouse will both have claims on this type of property/debt.
Separate Property consists of the assets and the debt that you or your spouse had before you got married. For example, if you purchased a car two years before your marriage, this is your own personal property. In the divorce, you have full claim to the car. Likewise, if you have student loans, a home, or other major assets/debts that you acquired before you were married, you and you alone will be entitled to this property in your divorce. The same goes for your spouse – you cannot try to take property that he or she bought before your marriage, just as you won’t be responsible for any debt that he or she acquired before you were married.
When splitting up marital property, the state of Connecticut uses an equitable distribution law. This law allows for marital property to be divided between the parties involved in a way that is fair, but not necessarily equal. A court will take you and your spouse’s personal finances into account when determining the distribution of marital property. For example, if you and your spouse have marital debt in the form of a mortgage, a judge may order for the spouse that makes more money to pay more of the mortgage than the other spouse. Ultimately, property and debt are divided in relation to what each spouse can afford.
If you and your spouse cannot divide your property and debt on your own, the court will intervene. If possible, it is a good idea to divide your belongings without the assistance of the court. This is because court battles can become ugly, and you will lose control over the outcome of the situation when you give it to a judge. Of course, if you cannot communicate with your spouse, taking your case to court might be in your best interest.


For many couples, determining child custody is the most important factor in their divorce. It is important to note that every divorce is different. To understand the best option in your situation, you should contact an experienced divorce lawyer.

Just as with dividing assets and debt, if you and your spouse can work out child custody on your own, this is most likely in your best interest. If you and your spouse can communicate and do what is best for your child, there’s no need to start a custody battle. However, if you are unhappy with what your spouse is proposing, consulting a judge can ensure that your child’s best interest is met.



Legal Custody refers to your ability to make legal decisions for your child. If you have legal custody of your child, you will be able to make decisions concerning your child’s religion, education, health, and more. In the absence of significant reasons the determination of custody is always determined based on what is in the best interest of the child. The law presumes that Joint Custody is in the best interest of the minor child unless determined otherwise.

Physical Custody refers to where your child lives. If you have physical custody, your child will be allowed to live with you for part or all of the year. Like Legal Custody, where the child resides is determined by what is in the best interest of the minor child.


If you have sole custody of your child, it means that you and you alone can make decisions concerning your child. If you have sole legal custody, you can make legal decisions, and if you have sole physical custody, your child will be allowed to live with you and you alone.

In most cases, the state of Connecticut will award joint custody, which gives both parents legal and physical custody. If this is the case, you will have to make decisions with the child’s other parent regarding where he or she lives and what to do in legal situations. In the absence of significant reasons the determination of custody is always determined based on what is in the best interest of the child. The law presumes that Joint Custody is in the best interest of the minor child unless determined otherwise.

Only in extreme cases is sole custody granted to one parent. The State of Connecticut recognizes the importance of having both a mother and father in a child’s life. Only if it is determined that one parent abused or neglected the child will sole custody be awarded to the deserving parent.

If you are not awarded physical custody in your divorce, you might still be granted visitation rights. This will allow you to see your child during regular, supervised visits. Visitations will be planned at the discretion of the court and the parent who has sole physical custody.


If you are the non-custodial parent in your divorce, meaning that your child primarily lives with his or her other parent, you will be required to pay child support. The purpose of child support is to help maintain your child’s standard of living now that he or she lives in a home with one instead of two incomes. The parent with primary custody of the child does not have to pay child support because he or she provides for the child regularly.

Child support is almost always a fixed amount of money paid to take care of and support your child. You must pay child support until your child graduates from high school, or until he or she turns 18, whichever is later. When child support is calculated, your income and other factors are taken into consideration to determine an amount that is fair to both you and your child. You should take child support very seriously. If you default on your child support payments, you can face jail time.

Click Here to see the State of Connecticut Child Support Guidelines.


The other type of support that you might be asked to pay is spousal support, or alimony. Spousal support is not awarded in every situation, but sometimes if there is a large disparity between incomes, levels of education, health, length of marriage and finances between spouses, the spouse with the lower amount of income/education will receive spousal support. There are a few different types of spousal support that might be ordered in your divorce.

Temporary Spousal Support is a common form of alimony that is paid while the divorce is being processed. It allows both spouses to maintain their individual standards of living by having the spouse that makes more money give money to the spouse that makes less money. Temporary spousal support will only occur if one spouse makes significantly more money than the other.
Periodic Alimony is another type of spousal support. Periodic alimony is generally given to stay-at-home spouses or spouses that do not have much job experience or education. This type of spousal support helps this spouse support him or herself while he or she searches for a job or improves his or her education level. Periodic alimony can be used to pay for school, job training, or to pay for bills while this spouse tries to make a living for him or herself.
Permanent Alimony is another common form of alimony. This is a permanent form of spousal support paid until the recipient remarries, or until one of the parties involved in permanent alimony passes away. It is possible for permanent alimony to be increased or decreased based on the financial situation of the payer and/or the recipient. Permanent alimony is rarely awarded in divorces.
In this section, I have touched upon some of the major concerns that people going through a divorce have. However, if your questions have not been answered by the information on this page, I encourage you to contact my office. Our lawyers at Ganim Law are eager to talk to you about your case and see how we can help. We are qualified to give you legal advice based on your personal situation and help you through this difficult process. Please feel free to Contact Us here for more information.



Whether you saw it coming or not, the death of a loved one can be devastating. On top of trying to process your personal feelings and grief at the loss of someone who was important to you, there is the added stress of making sure that your loved one’s affairs are in order and that his or her wishes are being carried out. It oftentimes falls to close family and friends to plan the wake and the funeral, write the obituary, and make sure that your loved one’s memory and wishes are respected. Once the funeral is behind you, there is still the issue of distributing the assets and the property of the deceased. All of this responsibility can be extremely overwhelming for someone facing the trauma of losing someone they love. If you are currently in this position, Ganim Law is here to help! Reviewing the information on this page can help you understand how to probate a loved one’s Will, will provide information on different types of trusts, and help you carry out your loved one’s desires. For further assistance, please feel free to contact our law firm. We are happy to answer any questions and help you through the probate process. At this difficult time, you need someone who is on your side. Ganim Law will provide that support. Give us s call to see how we can help you.

The information in our probate section is also intended to help those interested in creating a Will or a trust. In this section, you can find tips to help you protect your family and create these important documents. For assistance with a Will, a trust, or an estate plan, give us a call today.


If your loved one left a Will when he or she passed away, the way that he or she wants his or her assets to be distributed will be clear. Carrying out the stipulations of the Will is called probating the Will. A Will should contain the following information:

  • How debts should be paid off.
  • How the deceased’s property should be distributed.
  • How minor children should be provided for.
  • What will happen to the deceased’s business if he or she owns one.
  • How the deceased’s funeral and other arrangements should be handled.
  • Name and addresses of beneficiaries.
  • How assets are to be divided.
  • Who has been chosen as an Executor.


  • Identify and appraise the deceased’s property so that it can be distributed properly.

  • Pay off taxes and debts that are owed to creditors.
  • Distribute life insurance and retirement accounts.
  • Transfer/Liquidation of Assets that may be in the name of the deceased party such as bank accounts, real estate, motor vehicles, stocks/bonds, etc.
  • Distribution of Life Insurance and Retirement Accounts
As you can see, having a Will created is an important step in helping the deceased’s family handle their loved one’s death. If you would like to draft your own Will, our lawyers at Ganim Law can assist you.

In order for a Will to be probated, a probate petition has to be filed with the court. A legal hearing will be held within two months of the petition being filed. This will determine how the deceased’s property should be divided. Probate is generally a long and expensive process. If you would like to avoid probate, you should create a living trust in addition to your Will.


The executor of the Will is the person designated by the deceased to execute or probate the Will. This may be a close friend, a family member, a colleague, or a professional that the deceased trusted. Naming an executor of a Will is an important decision, because it is the executor who has control over the Will itself. Often times, probating a Will is a complicated process. The executor should be an organized, honest, fair person who can do what the deceased wants, not what the family of the deceased wants. The executor also needs to be honest because he or she will be in charge of many different assets. The person who creates the Will should be certain that the executor is trustworthy before giving this role to him or her.

Being an executor to someone’s Will is an honor. You have been trusted with great responsibility, because it is up to you to distribute the deceased’s property and pay off his or her debts. While this is an honor, it can also be an overwhelming job. If you have been named an executor to a friend or family member’s Will, here are some facts that you should know.

  • There are many qualities that would be helpful to have if you are to be an executor, but there is only one that you must In order to qualify as an executor, you must fulfill fiduciary duty. This is the duty to act in good faith in order to represent the deceased. You must put the deceased’s desires above your own and act honestly. If you can fulfill fiduciary duty, you will qualify as an executor.
  • Having a strong background in law and finance will also serve you well as an executor, but these aren’t requirements.
  • You will have many jobs as an executor to a Will. They include paying debts, paying taxes, identifying and managing the deceased’s property, filing a succession tax return, attending court hearings, distributing property to the appropriate heirs and beneficiaries, deciding if probate court is necessary or not, creating a bank account for the deceased’s estate, and taking care of general details.
  • As an executor, you may have to pay a bond in order to fulfill your role. The bond will act to protect heirs and creditors from being harmed by the negligence or malfeasance of the executor. Some people put a clause in their Will’s asking for the executor’s bond to be waived, but this is not always the case. Be prepared to pay a bond in order to execute a Will.


If you do not want to create a Will, but you want to make your intentions with your assets and debts clear upon your death, you can create a trust instead. There are many different types of trusts, and they can serve valuable purposes, such as making arrangements for what should happen to you if you become incapacitated, avoiding taxes, providing provisions for minor children upon your death, and more.


There are two major types of trusts – revocable and irrevocable trusts. The major difference between these types of trusts is that a revocable trust can be changed or even entirely destroyed if the person that made the trust determines that this is in his or her best interest, while an irrevocable trust cannot be altered or changed in any way once it is created. Both of these options have their pros and cons.

Revocable Trusts Information
Irrevocable Trusts Information
If you are considering creating a trust for yourself and your property, you should consult a probate lawyer to determine which type of trust is right for you.


Revocable and irrevocable trusts are broken down into even smaller categories. Some of the most common types of trusts are listed here:

An asset protection trust protects the person who created the trust’s assets from claims made by a creditor, whether the trust maker is deceased or not.

A charitable trust gives money to a particular charity upon the trust maker’s death.

The constructive trust is also known as an implied trust. This type of trust gives the court the power to decide what to do with certain types of properties in assets when a physical trust is not available.

A pour over trust is created to determine what will happen to the trust maker and his or her assets if he or she becomes incapacitated.

You should consider creating this type of trust if you are providing for someone who has special needs. A special needs trust allows the beneficiary of the trust to receive assets while still qualifying for government benefits. 

This is a type of trust in which the beneficiary of the trust can’t give away his or her interests in the trust.

This type of trust allows the trust maker to leave money to his or her spouse while bypassing taxes. Essentially, this type of trust allows the surviving spouse to receive assets tax-free.

A Totten trust is a form of living trust created by depositing money into an account in the name of the trustee or the trust maker.


If you are looking for a more detailed way to manage your assets and debt, you might be interested in creating an estate plan. If you own any of the following property or assets, creating an estate plan is in your best interest:

An estate plan will give a detailed overview of your debts, your assets, and your desires upon your death. This can help your loved ones process your property and wishes in the most efficient way possible. Other benefits of creating an estate plan include:



When you are involved in a car accident, your life suddenly becomes infinitely more complicated. How will you get to work while your car is being fixed? How will you find time to get your injuries checked out and make sure that you are healthy? Most importantly – what do you do if someone else is at fault for the accident and the subsequent damages to your property and person? These thoughts and many more are probably racing through your head after a car accident takes place. This is why we’ve created this section on our website. We work with car accidents every day, and we have the answers that you are searching for during this difficult time. We’d like to offer you our experience in car accident and personal injury cases so that you can start planning your next step. If you are feeling overwhelmed by this process, don’t worry. While this page should answer your basic questions about car, truck, and motorcycle accidents, if you have specific questions regarding your situation, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We are happy to provide moral support and an aggressive defense of your case throughout this process.


Whether you’ve been involved in a fender bender or a serious crash, there are several steps that you should take as soon as possible to protect yourself as an injured party. If possible, at the scene of the accident, you should:

Call the police and get a police report. You should never take any chances in this situation. Getting the other driver’s information is not enough, especially if you want to file a personal injury claim down the line. Call a police officer to the scene of the accident, explain what happened, and have the officer file a police report. For insurance purposes and a personal injury claim, having a police report will come in handy.
Obtain the other driver’s information. You should take down the information of the at-fault party, including his or her name, address, phone number, insurance information, and more. Get as much information as you can so that you can contact this person. Should the at-fault party leave the scene before you can take down information, you should call the police as soon as possible. Try to describe to the police the make and color of the car, the license plate, if possible, and any other descriptions that can help track this party down. If found, the at-fault party will face additional charges for a hit-and-run accident.
Begin assessing your injuries. Initially after an accident, you might feel fine because your adrenaline is pumping. As time goes by, symptoms of injuries might manifest themselves. Pay close attention to your body as time passes.
Take photographs of the damage. Use your camera phone to take pictures of both cars, skid marks on the road, and any injuries that you have sustained. This can be used as evidence later on in your case.


Go to a doctor or a hospital as soon as possible. Even if you feel fine, you should consult with a professional. Go to the ER or visit your doctor and explain what happened. Having a doctor check you out as soon as possible can support a personal injury claim down the line.
Make copies of everything! If you visit a hospital, make sure you have a receipt of the bill. Keep documentation of any money that you spend in relation to the accident, whether that be bills for medication, doctor’s visits, MRIs or XRAYs, physical therapy, surgery, mechanical work on your vehicle, etc. Having this information will help determine compensation in your personal injury case.
Write down everything that happened. As soon as possible, you should write down the facts of the accident and everything that you remember. Time can distort your memory of what happened, so making a record of this event will be essential later on in your case.
Call your insurance company. Inform your insurance company of what has happened, explain that you are not at fault for the accident, and give the company the information of the at-fault party.
Contact a personal injury lawyer. If you are thinking of filing a personal injury claim, you should contact a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in auto accidents as soon as possible. A personal injury lawyer can advise you on the right steps to take in your situation.




  • Make sure that you and any passengers on your motorcycle are wearing appropriate clothing such as helmets, protective jackets, gloves, etc.
  • Do not exceed the speed limit.
  • Be aware of road conditions.
  • Make sure you have professional training in order to operate a motorcycle.
  • Never let someone without a motorcycle license drive your motorcycle.
  • Maintain your motorcycle properly.

In addition, you can protect yourself from accidents by getting motorist conversion coverage or a form of umbrella insurance coverage. If you are in an accident, this coverage can protect you.


Getting into an accident with a truck can be particularly traumatic, due to the size and force that trucks have. In addition, if you want to file a personal injury claim as a result of a truck accident, you might not necessarily be suing the truck driver. Commercial trucks are operated by companies that can be held liable for accidents, even if the company owner was not the person driving the truck at the time of the accident.

When you file your personal injury claim, you need to take into account the differences between a passenger automobile and a commercial truck. When you are dealing with a passenger car, the person driving the car is responsible for the accident. If you file a personal injury claim, it is against this person. On the other hand, there are multiple parties involved in the liability of a truck. Any of these parties can be held responsible for the accident. These parties include:

  • The truck driver.
  • The owner of the truck.
  • The driver’s employer.
  • The shipper of hazardous material.
  • The manufacturer of hazardous material.

You can determine who is responsible for the accident and who you should sue through the use of the respondeat superior theory. This theory determines the relationship between the person driving the truck and the other parties mentioned above. Determining the party or parties that are at fault for the accident that injured you can be a complex process. It is best for you to consult a personal injury lawyer who is experienced in truck accidents if you want to file a personal injury claim in this scenario. A lawyer will be able to guide you through this difficult process and make the best decisions for you.


When you are injured by another party in the state of Connecticut, Connecticut law allows gives you the opportunity to prove your case. In order to receive compensation from the at-fault party, you must prove two things. One, you must prove that you sustained an injury or multiple injuries. Two, you must prove that these injuries were a direct result of the recklessness or carelessness of the at-fault party. For example, if you are in a car accident, and you are injured because your airbag does not properly deploy, the injury is not the fault of the driver who caused the accident. Instead, you should prosecute the company that made the faulty airbag, since the bag is what caused your injury. Similarly, you cannot necessarily receive compensation just because you have been in a car accident. If someone else caused an accident but you were not injured in the crash, there is nothing to receive compensation for.


You will be asked to prove your injuries when you file a personal injury claim.


Photographs of your injuries.
Eyewitness testimony.
Records of examination outlining the injuries.
Additional appointment with a doctor hired by the defendant in the case.
Medical bills.
Hospital bills.


You will have to prove that the other party acted recklessly or with negligence, and that these actions directly caused your injury. Some examples would be, texting while driving, driving under the influence, speeding, illegal or dangerous passing, etc.


If it is determined that the defendant in the case is at fault for your injuries, you are entitled to compensation. The purpose of compensation is to put the injured party in the same position financially as he or she would have been had the accident never occurred. You can receive compensation for both economic and non-economic damages that the car accident caused. Some examples of economic damage are bills for:

  • Visit to the Emergency Room.
  • Doctor’s appointments.
  • Hospital visits.
  • X-rays, CAT scans, MRIs, or other tests.
  • Surgery.
  • Physical therapy.
  • Medication.
  • Medical tools such as a wheelchair, cast, crutches, etc.
  • Loss of income due to an inability to work.
  • Any other bills related to the injury.


  • Pain and suffering.
  • Emotional issues resulting from the accident.
  • Depression.


Not all personal injury cases go to trial. In many cases, you will have the opportunity to negotiate the situation with the other party. If you want to work out a negotiation, you should make sure that a lawyer is representing you during any meetings with the other party in the case. This will ensure that any agreements that are reached are in your best interest. Many people are willing to compromise and settle their cases so as to avoid a time consuming and expensive trial. Going to trial will really depend on the settlement offer that you receive, the strength of your case, and what you are hoping to get out of your personal injury claim. All of these options should be discussed with a personal injury lawyer before you make any decisions.

If you are interested in discussing your situation with a professional, please give our office a call. We are happy to answer your questions and help you through the process of filing a personal injury claim.



When you’ve been in a car accident that you didn’t cause, it is not always easy to determine who is at fault for the accident. When dealing with commercial vehicles, the truck driver, the truck driver’s employer, or even the company responsible for the cargo being carried by the truck might be the party that you should sue if you are injured in the accident. In passenger automobile situations, the driver is oftentimes the person who is at fault for the accident; however, there are situations where it is not only the driver’s fault for the accident.

If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, it is important to take a look at the big picture in regards to the accident. Is the drunk driver solely responsible for the accident? Oftentimes, a claim can be made against a bar or restaurant that caused a customer to become intoxicated and allowed that person get behind a wheel, knowing that he or she was not fit to drive. If this is the situation that you are in, you need information on suing the bar or restaurant – something that is also known as making a dram shop claim. In this section, you can learn more about the dram shop claim, how to file one, and when it is appropriate to file one. If you believe that a liquor seller is responsible for the damages to your person and property, the best thing that you can do is contact a personal injury lawyer that has experience with dram shop cases. These cases can be extremely complex and difficult to prove, so having a lawyer on your side is the best way to ensure that you win your case. At Ganim Law, we have worked with dram shop victims and can help you through the court process. Please contact us today to discuss your situation.


In 2005, the Connecticut General Statutes revised the dram shop act, listed in section 30-102. This act claims that a liquor seller can be held liable for damages by a person who is injured as a result of the liquor seller’s actions. If a liquor seller – whether that be a restaurant, a bar, a club, a liquor store, a grocery store, etc. – sells alcohol to a person who is already intoxicated, any resulting accidents are the fault of not only the drunk driver, but the liquor seller as well. The liquor seller is required to pay damages to the injured party. Under Connecticut’s dram shop act, the liquor seller must pay up to $250,000 to the injured party for damages. However, in order to claim damages from a liquor seller, the injured party must give written notice to the seller within 60 days of the accident. In the event of death resulting from the accident, the family will have an additional 120 days to file a claim. This time will account for the execution of the deceased’s Will. After written notice is given to the liquor seller, the injured party has one year to file the dram shop claim with the court. If the injured party fails to do so, the statute of limitations will prevent the claim from being filed. One other important factor in the dram shop act is that it only applies to drunk drivers under the age of 21. If a liquor seller serves alcohol to a person over the age of 21, the seller is not responsible for the customer’s actions.


You might be wondering if a friend or family member who served alcohol in his or her home can be considered a liquor seller. In the state of Connecticut, social hosts are not considered liquor sellers. This means that if you were injured by a drunk driver who became intoxicated at a friend’s party, that person is not responsible for your injuries – the driver alone will be at fault. However, it is a crime in Connecticut for social hosts to fail to take precautions to prevent those under the age of 21 from drinking alcohol on their property. This is considered a criminal misdemeanor, and you or your lawyer has the right to file a claim against the social host if negligence in preventing minors from drinking occurred.


If you believe that a liquor seller should pay damages for your injuries, you must give due notice to the seller. When filing a claim with the liquor seller, be sure to include the following information:

  • The time and date of the accident.
  • The person who should receive compensation from the liquor seller.
  • The place where the accident/injury occurred.


Just because you feel that a liquor seller is partially responsible for your injuries does not mean that the driver of the vehicle is not responsible as well. You can file a personal injury claim against the drunk driver that caused the accident as well as filing a lawsuit under the dram shop act. If you win your case, the compensation that is awarded to you will be divided between the liquor seller and the at-fault driver.Proving Fault

It can be extremely difficult to prove fault in a personal injury case. There are many variables and factors in determining if someone is sober enough to drive, and a bartender is not going to know all of the factors involved when serving alcohol to a patron. In order to prove fault in a dram shop case, it is a good start to prove the following:

  • That sale of alcohol by the establishment to the customer actually took place.
  • That there was a correlation between the customer’s intoxication and the sale of alcohol to him or her. In other words, that the customer was not already drunk when he or she arrived at the establishment.
  • That the customer caused an accident as a result of his or her intoxication, harming another person.
  • That the customer’s intoxication was at least one of the factors in the injuries sustained by the victim of the accident.
Even if you cannot prove that a liquor seller is at fault for your injuries, you can most likely prove that the drunk driver is at fault in this situation. You do not have to prove that the other driver was intoxicated to prove that he or she is at fault for the accident. Instead, you simply have to prove that:
  • The driver acted with negligence or recklessness.
  • That these actions caused the accident.
  • That you sustained injuries as a result of the accident.
If you can prove these three factors in the accident, you will have a strong case against the other driver.


The purpose of compensation is to put the injured party in the position that he or she would have been in had the accident never occurred. This means covering the financial and emotional costs that the accident caused. In the state of Connecticut, those injured in car accidents can receive compensation for two forms of damages – economic damages, and non-economic damages. Economic damages are any financial bills that had to be paid in relation to the injury. These damages can include bills for:

Emergency room visits.
Hospital visits.
Doctor’s visits.
CAT scans.
A specialist’s opinion.
Physical therapy.
Rehabilitative instruments, such as crutches or a wheelchair.
Damages to your vehicle.
Loss of income due to an inability to work.

On the other hand, non-economic damages refer to the emotional toll that an injury takes. While it is difficult to put a price on this type of damage, the state of Connecticut has a formula for determining how much compensation should be paid in each case for suffering and damages and emotional trauma due to the accident.


Just as with any personal injury case, you might have the option to settle your case instead of taking it to trial. Depending on your situation, this might be a good idea. One of the biggest reasons that people settle their personal injury cases is that this allows them to receive compensation for their injuries without having to go to trial. Avoiding the stress, frustration, uncertainty, and financial burden associated with trial is appealing to those who wish to settle their cases. If you are considering settling your personal injury case, it is important that you have a personal injury lawyer with you during all negotiations. This will ensure that the settlement is in your best interest.

One reason why people go to trial is that they know they have a solid case, and they want as much compensation as they can get. You are entitled to compensation if you’ve been injured, and many people want the full compensation that is due to them. You can get this full compensation by taking your case to trial.

Before making the decision to settle or go to trial, it is important to consult with a personal injury lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can use his or her experience and knowledge to consider the facts of your case and help you make the best decision for your situation. Whether you want to settle your case or go to trial, consulting someone with experience in dram shop cases can make all of the difference for you. Filing notice of the dram shop claim filing the case with the court, building your case, negotiating the settlement option, and going to trial are all made easier by having a dedicated personal injury lawyer by your side. Ganim Law can provide that lawyer for you. To learn more, please contact our office. We are here to help!



Along with car accidents, medical malpractice represents the majority of the personal injury claims that are filed in the United States. If you have been a victim of medical malpractice, you should contact and experienced attorney right away.


Anytime you go to see a doctor, you expect to receive a basic medical standard of care. All doctors are expected to adhere to this standard of care to ensure consistent and satisfactory medical assistance. A failure to follow common standards can result in injuries or complications. Potential factors that can lead to complications include misdiagnosis, lack of understanding your medical history, surgical errors, or incorrect prescriptions.. If you have experienced any of these issues, you may be the victim of medical malpractice.


The medical standard of care requires that all doctors follow the locality rule. The locality rule asks all doctors to use the same level of skill and care as other practicing doctors in the same area use. If a doctor fails to treat a patient according to what is considered normal, the locality rule can be used in a medical malpractice lawsuit.


Doctors and surgeons are also required to follow the respectable minority rule. This rule maintains that even if a doctor uses an uncommon practice, he or she will be found not guilty of medical malpractice so long as a respectable minority of other doctors use the same practice. Proving that the practice of a doctor is uncommon is the job of an experienced malpractice lawyer.


There are two aspects to medical malpractice. The first is to prove that the doctor failed to meet the medical standard of care, and the second is to prove that this action resulted in an injury.

Establishing that the doctor did not follow the common standard of care is an important aspect in proving medical malpractice. A few ways to establish fault on the doctor are as followed: 

  • Proving that the doctor did not sufficiently understand your medical history.
  • Proving that the doctor, nurse, or pharmacist made an error when prescribing medication on dosage.
  • Proving that the doctor did not properly explain your treatment options with you.
  • Proving that an error occurred during surgery.
  • Proving that you did not consent to a treatment plan
  • Proving that common procedure was violated.
The second component to medical malpractice is proving that you were injured as a direct result of a medical error that your nurse, doctor, surgeon, or pharmacist made. Some examples, such as an adverse reaction to an incorrect prescription, are easier to prove. However, some injuries are much harder to prove, and it is in your best interest to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney right away.


The State of Connecticut offers compensation for both economic and non-economic injuries sustained by a victim of medical malpractice. Economic damages refer to quantifiable costs that you incurred as a result your injuries, such as physical therapy or loss of income. Non-economic damages refer to the intangible damages that you have incurred, such as depression or emotional suffering.

If you feel that you may be the victim of medical malpractice, you should contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney to begin building your case. Call Ganim Law today for your Free Consultation.



Being the victim of a dog bite can be a traumatic ordeal. In most cases, if a dog causes injury to a person or another animal, the dog’s owner is liable for the injuries. Additionally, a dog can be the cause of damage to private property, such as digging up a yard or destroying valuables. If a dog has caused damage to either your property or your person, you may have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit against the dog’s owner.


In the state of Connecticut, there is a statute that enforces strict liability on a dog’s owner that causes damages to personal property or inflicts personal injury. For example, if a child is petting a dog and the dog bites the child, the owner of the dog is liable and can be sued for personal injury. Likewise, the dog’s owner is responsible for property that is damaged by a loose dog.

However, there are instances in which a dog’s owner is not responsible for injuries caused by their dog. One such instance is if the person was injured while trespassing on private property. Quite simply, if a dog attacks you while you are trespassing on private property, it is not the responsibility of the dog’s owner. Another case in which the dog’s owner is not responsible for injuries caused by the dog is if the victim was teasing, tormenting, or abusing the dog. If a dog is provoked and causes injury, it is not the responsibility of the dog’s owner.

If you are unsure of who is to blame for a dog bite or dog attack, you should contact a personal injury lawyer today. At Ganim Law, we have experience in dog bite cases and can help you file paperwork, gather evidence, negotiate your case, and get the compensation that you deserve. This compensation could include:

  • Prescription Pills
  • Physical Therapy
  • Medical Bills
  • Surgery
  • Pain and Suffering
  • Loss of Income
  • Therapy
  • Depression




Worker’s Compensation is a  law designed to provide wage replacement and other benefits for employees who have been injured, disabled, or even killed while they are at work. In the State of Connecticut, most companies are required to provide worker’s compensation through either a state run worker’s compensation insurance program or a private insurance company. Additionally, you must be employed on a full or part time basis by a company that offers worker’s compensation in order to be eligible to receive it.

If you are injured while you are at work, it is important that you contact your employer right away to inform him or her of your injury. You should also get a medical examination to determine the extent of your injuries.

If your injuries were not sustained at your place of employment, nor are a direct result of your job, you will not be eligible for workers compensation. You will also be ineligible for workers compensation if your injury is the result of your own negligence or carelessness. Being injured as a result of being intoxicated while at work is an example of an ineligible injury.



Once you have informed your employer about your injury or illness and received a medical examination, you are ready to file a claim for workers compensation. Your employer must agree that your injury occurred while you were at work, or is a result of the job in order for you to receive compensation. If your employer does not accept your claim, you will have to file an appeal claim. In the case of a dispute, the state agency will review your appeal and determine if you should receive workers compensation.



Income compensation.If it is proven that you did sustain your injuries while at work as a direct result of your job and workers compensation is granted, you may receive the following benefits:


  • Physical Therapy.
  • Prescription Pills.
  • Medical Bills.
  • Surgical Bills.
  • Medical Equipment.
  • Money for Pain and Suffering.
If you believe that you may be eligible for workers compensation, you should contact an attorney today. At Ganim Law, we have experience in workers compensation cases and can help you during this difficult time. Whether your boss is cooperating with you or not, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve!



The death of a loved one is an incredibly difficult time. In addition to the shock and sadness that comes with losing a family member, you may also find yourself dealing with how to pay sudden expenses, such as medical and funeral bills. If the death of your loved one is the result of the actions or negligence of another party, then you may be eligible for compensation. At Ganim Law, we have experience in wrongful death lawsuits, and can help you regain some peace of mind during your hardship.


Wrongful death is the loss of life as a result of another person’s actions or negligence. Potential examples of wrongful death include a car accident, medical malpractice, or assault. Individuals or larger entities, such as a business or company, can be found guilty of wrongful death.


 There are two requirements to file a wrongful death claim. First, you must be related to the deceased. Secondly, you must have been financially dependent, and thus financially injured by the death of your relative. Spouses and children most often file wrongful death claims, however any relative, such as parents, nieces or nephews, or grandchildren can file a wrongful death lawsuit so long as they were financially provided for by the deceased.

You will also have to show that the death of your loved one was the result of the actions or negligence of someone else. You will have to prove that the at-fault party either intended to cause harm, or that he or she acted in a careless way, thus resulting in the death of your loved one.


If you are able to prove that your loved one’s death was due to the actions or negligence of someone else, and that the death of your loved one has left you financially injured, you are entitled to recover damages from the at-fault party. There are three categories of compensations, short term damages (such as medical expenses and funeral bills), long term damages (projected future earnings), and punitive damage. The compensation you are entitled to will depend on your specific situation.

Losing a loved one is always a difficult time, but losing a family member due to wrongful death is especially overwhelming. At Ganim Law, we have experience in wrongful death cases. Let one of our attorneys answer your questions and provide support to you as you go through this difficult experience. Contact Us today for a free evaluation.


SLIP & FALL Slip and Fall

A slip and fall accident occurs when someone is injured on someone else’s property as result of negligence on the part of the property owner. A property owner failing to clear an icy sidewalk that leads to someone slipping and injuring themselves is an example of a slip and fall accident. If you are injured on someone else’s property and the owner is at fault, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries.


Accidents Happen. But if you were injured on public property, private property, or at a commercial enterprise, as a result of dangerous conditions, you may be the victim of a premises liability accident. Businesses are responsible to keep their premises safe to walk on. While it is impossible to prevent every accident and injury, businesses are legally bound to exercise the same care as any responsible person would when it comes to keeping their customers safe. Businesses therefore have to take the necessary precautions to prevent dangerous conditions, and notify customers of potential dangers due to slippery or unsafe surfaces. For example, if a floor has recently been mopped and is still wet, a sign should be displayed to warn clients and customers about the potentially slippery surfaces. Failure to do so may be viewed as negligence on the part of the business owner.

In order to sue a business or person for compensation for your injuries in a slip and fall case, you must prove that the business did not properly maintain its property, and that it failed to warn you of dangerous conditions. An experienced attorney can help you gather evidence to prove your case.

It is important to distinguish that if you are at least partially responsible for the injuries you sustained in a public place, you may only receive partial compensation, or no compensation at all for your injuries. For example, if you tripped on a sidewalk in a public place because you were running, this is not entirely the fault of the business. A business does not have to warn a customer against the customer’s own careless behavior.

If you believe you are the victim of a Slip and Fall case, contact Ganim Law today. We can guide you through the process, aid you in gathering evidence, and help you determine if you want to settle your case or take it to trial. For more information, contact us today.


PRODUCT LIABILITY product liability

Under Connecticut law, manufacturers have a responsibility to produce safe and reliable products. If you have been injured by a defective or dangerous product, you may be owed compensation by the products manufacturer or distributor. Injuries occurring as a result of a manufactures negligence or breech of warranty are common grounds for product liability cases.

Poorly designed safety features on automobiles, defective industrial equipment, or even hazardous toys are all examples of products that can lead to injury. If you have been injured as the result of a product and you believe you are the victim of product liability, you should contact an attorney immediately. At Ganim Law, we have experience in product liability cases, and can fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.



A dispute between two separate businesses, within the same business, or between a business and clients can be classified as business or commercial litigation. There are many types of cases that fall under this category, but a few common examples include collection of debts, employer/employee disputes, partnership disputes, and business fraud. Due to the potentially large nature of businesses and complexity of contracts, business disputes can be very time consuming. If you are facing commercial litigation, or believe you have been wronged by a business entity, you need to speak with a qualified attorney right away.

At Ganim Law, we understand that business disputes, if not handled correctly, can have many adverse effects, such as costing time, money, and reputation. We are experienced in handling business litigation cases effectively and efficiently, and can help you through this process. Contact Ganim Law today for a free consultation.